Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

So, long ago when Jason was on his mission, I worked at the Roof restuarant in downtown Salt Lake. Since the resturant overlooks Temple Square, it is a Mormon mecca for weddings, marriage proposals and romatic evenings away from your six kids under the age of 8. One fateful year, I agreed to cover a shift for a co-worker, not realizing that I would be working on Valentine's Day. I tried to convince myself that it wouldn't be so bad, but over the course of the day, I was sworn at over the phone, told that a guy's wife would divorce him if I couldn't get him the resturant that night (sounds like a strong, healthly marriage), and made to cry by a guy who was upset that he and his wife couldn't get a reservation after going to the temple that night. Needless to say, this experience (for good reason, I think) makes me hate Valentine's Day, and with Jason's consent, we alway plan our festivities for a few days earlier or after.

This year, we went out on Wednesday evening. We decided to go to the Citrus Grill, which is my favorite resturant that I always forget about. Whenever we talk about places to eat at, we usually go somewhere else, and afterward I often think "why didn't we go to the Citrus Grill? I always forget about that place!" It is in the same strip mall as Cafe Rio (another common haunt for Jason and I) and is usually pretty crowded. The prices are really great (Jason's salad was only $5.50 and huge, my turkey melt with fries was $7.00) and the service is alway really good.
It was nice to have a night out, since I have been really busy at work, and Jason is even busier with work and school.

On Friday night, we had reservations to the Draper temple open house. I had never been to an open house before, and it was so well organized. It was interesting to be with such a diverse group. There were plenty of LDS members and their families, but also many others who were taking advantage of the opportunity to see our temple. I liked how everyone was treated equally, no matter how well dressed or well behaved they were. It was a good example of how members and non-members should treat one another. I was surprised how small this temple was. I have only been to a few (Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Logan and Jordan River). My favorite room was the oridence room painted with aspen trees. Standing there, it really felt like we were in the middle of the High Unitas in fall-one of my favorite places to be! After the temple tour, we went out to Cafe Rio (see, I said it was one of our favorites) and headed back home.

On Saturday (actual Valentine's Day), Jason was totally overwhelmed with school projects, so I had plenty of time to myself. I managed to organize and clean our spare bedroom (which is currently serving as Jason's workout room, and will one day house our unborn child), so we are now officially unpacked! Only took 4 months... When Jason was sick of homework, we decided to try and unclog our bathtub. What we thought would take a half hours ended up being three...the joys of homeownership. The previous owners had not taken very good care of this particular aspect of the house, and the drain was more clogged than we thought. Three hours and 60 bucks at Home Depot later, we finally managed to clear the clog by flushing it with a hose (my idea, by the way!). Very exciting, I know! After the drain debacle, I was too tired to make the special Valentine's dinner I was planning on, so we got $5 dollar pizza instead. While Jason toiled away on economics, I watched Love Actually (one of my favorite movies!), Sweet Home Alabama (one of the few chick flicks I can stomach) and an episode of the Tudors (I love Johnathan Rhys Meyers, even with the scruffy beard).

Today, my grandma will be giving her homecoming talk from the mission she served in downtown Salt Lake, which means: 1. no teaching Sunday School 2. I will get to see my nieces, nephews and cousins (they are cute, and after I hang out with them for awhile, all my thoughts of having a baby go out the window! Best birth control ever!) Tomorrow, I have the day off from work (thanks, dead Presidents!) so I will probably run the errands I have been putting off for a while.