Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Get to know Jason and Verity!

What are your middle names?

My middle name is Deanne. My maternal grandfather's name was Dean, and my father's middle name was Dean, so when I ended up being a girl, my parent's just feminized Dean to Deanne. Jason's middle name is Heinz. His parent's really love ketchup, and decided to honor the blessed condiment by giving their second-born son the middle name Heinz . Or maybe it is because that's his dad's name...

How long have you been together?

Dated for 5 years, married for two years and some months.

How long did you know each other before you started dating?

Hmm...that's complicated. We first met (thought neither of us remember it clearly) at Kersten and Laurie's wedding when we were 14. During our sophomore year of high school, we were re-introduced when we ended up in the same dance group for Monster Mash. I went with my friend Tim (who is now one of Jason's good friends) and Jason went with his sister-in-law Amy (totally platonic, don't get any weird ideas!) We really liked each other and got along really well, but nothing really happened after the dance. We ran into each other a few more times during high school (parties of mutual friends, Wendy's, church activities) but nothing really materialized. At the beginning of our senior year, Amy gave my number to Jason, and we went on our first official date (which I almost said no to, since I had a test I needed to study for. See what I nerd I was back in high school?) And after that, it was history.

Who asked whom out?
Jason

How old are each of you?

We are both 25, me older by just a month. But if you go by maturity levels, well....

Whose siblings do you see the most?

Probably Jason's, since my sister is down in Cedar City and my half-brother lives in North Ogden

Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?

Well, see, our marriage is perfect and we have never had a disagreement...oh wait, I forgot that I don't live in magic Mormon land. Since we both work full-time and Jason is in school full-time, the hardest thing for us to deal with is managing our time. It seems like we have more obligations than we have time for, and it can be hard to prioritize what really needs to be done and what we are being coerced into. This causes a lot of arguments, which ends up wasting more time. See the cycle?!

Did you go to the same school?

We went to different high schools (Skyline for me, Olympus for Jason). I graduated from Westminster College in 2005, and Jason has attended (so far) Salt Lake Community College, BYU (online course), Weber State (another online course) and will graduate from Westminster. He wants to go to the U of U for the economics Ph.D program. Maybe after than, he can go to USU and complete his college tour of Northern Utah.

Are you from the same home town?

Technically. I grew up in Holladay, and Jason comes from East Millcreek. But now we live in the better of the two (and in case you were wondering, yes, I am a snob when it come to location)

Who is smarter?

I think we are both smarter in different ways. I tend to more logical and book smart, while Jason is more street-smart. Luckily, we were both blessed with common sense, which is better than both other smarts combined.

Who is the most sensitive?
Well, that's not a hard one to answer. I am definately more sensitive, though Jason has his moments (though he will never admit it...)

Where do you eat out most as a couple?
I know it is cliche, but we love the Cafe Rio. Costco is also a close second, since you can't beat 3 bucks for a dinner out (even if it is just hot dogs). When we go to "actual" resturants, we like the Bohemian Brewery, Citrus Grill, Aristo's, Sampan, Training Table and Stoneground.

Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
Budapest, Hungary last May. Can't wait to go back!

Who has the craziest exes?
I have never met any of Jason's exes, so I couldn't say...

Who has the worst temper?

Anyone who is reading this and knows Jason should know the answer to that...

Who does the cooking?

I do, though it is not by any means forced. I actually enjoy cooking, and Jason excels at grating cheese, so it works out.

Who is the neat-freak?
I am not a neat-freak, but I like things to be organized and to know where things are. Which is probably why I am always being asked by a certain someone "Do you know where I put...?"

Who is more stubborn?
I like to think I am only stubborn when necessary and when it is something really important and worth fighting over. Jason tends to think the opposite...but I can usually win him over.

Who hogs the bed?
Neither. We both sort of hug the side until we almost fall off.

Who wakes up earlier?

Jason, but that doesn't mean I get to sleep in...

Where was your first date?
Stoneground, which is across from the Salt Lake City Library. We went there for dinner with Jason's best friend Scott and his girlfriend (now wife) Emily. They had just recently broken up and had just gotten back together that night, which I thought was a little strange that they had invited us along. After dinner, we luckily did not go see the movie Serendipity as planned, but went on a haunted tour of Salt Lake instead. Go ghosts!

Who is more jealous?
Neither of us are particularily jealous, though I do despise the magnetic pull that Bear Grylls seems to hold over Jason. One minute, you are paying attention to your wife, the next, you can't tear yourself away from some British guy is telling you the best way to eat bear poop. I don't understand it. By the way, he really does eat bear poop-check out the Romania episode from the current season and see for yourself.

How long did it take to get serious?

Not very long. He told me he was falling in love with me after the third date (and was scared to death I would dump him right then and there), and a few dates later, I decided I felt the same way.

Who eats more?

Both about equally, but there are two foods that Jason cannot resist: cereal and Goldfish crackers. If those are in the vicinity, watch out, because they will be gone!

Who does the laundry?
I do, but not because Jason has ever ruined my clothes or anything. I just prefer it, and especially prefer it over cleaning the bathroom or spending hours in the crawlspace, which are tasks that Jason takes over.

Who's better with the computer?

That would be Jason. I am computer literate enough, but anything that involves "hard drives" or "RAM" is too much for me.

Who drives when you are together?

I love to drive, and usually try to when we need to go anywhere together. I tend to be calmer behind the wheel, and less suceptible to road rage. Unless it is a minivan. I hate minivans.