Wednesday, July 23, 2008

So I figured it was about time I updated our blog, since I have been pretty lax in posting. Here is the life of Jason and Verity thus far:

Austin:

This last weekend, we were in Austin, Texas. I went to Austin for a user's conference for the computer system we use in my office, and I took Jason with me so that I could have someone to get me company in the evening. We had to take separate flights, since Jason can't miss any classes this summer, but we both ended up getting there on time and in one piece. Austin is the capitol of Texas (a fact that neither of us realized until we were at the actual capitol building) and is a pretty nice city. It is known for its nightlife, especially the live music venues, but we didn't really partake in much of that. We did have really good food (real Texas BBQ, homemade ice cream) and it was nice to have a laid back, mini vacation. Of course, Texas is really humid and hot, so walking around in the 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity=instant sweatsoak, but we made the best of it. We had planned on going kayaking on the Town Lake (a big river that run through the center of the city, why they call it a lake I will never know), but decided at the last minute not to. Since Batman came out last weekend, we decided at the last minute to find a movie theater in downtown Austin. Bad idea-the only one close enough to walk to was an IMAX theater, and it was crazy crowded, so we nixed those plans and went swimming instead. Coming home, we barely made our connecting flight (thanks, failing air transport system!) but we finally made it back to Salt Lake, land of 100 degree dry heat (I will never complain about it again...well, not really, but I least I know now that it could be worse).

Primary:

So, we have been in our new ward (my old home ward) for about 4 months, and a few weeks ago (yes, we skip a lot of church) the bishopric finally gave us a calling. Now, what kind of calling would they give a young, married couple in a ward where the average age is 65? You guessed it: primary! I actually like primary, and I was lucky to be paired with my mom, who has been teaching the 9 year olds for about a year and has them pretty well trained. Jason, on the other hand, likes the kids but not sharing time (too much "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam puts him on edge, I guess). He was originally assigned to teach the 7-8 year olds, but it was changed to the 10 year olds the next week. He is part of a teaching pair, so he will only have to teach every other Sunday (same with me). This Sunday, since only 2 kids showed up to my class, we decided to combine them. Since we didn't know what lesson we were supposed to teach, Jason pulled out the old plan of salvation diagram. Actually, it was really cool to see how much the kids already knew and understood. I hope this works out. Jason is a little disappointment to be in the primary again, but I think it works well for us because we don't have a lot of time to devote to a larger calling, and primary lets us still be involved but not overextended.

Obligatory Batman post
Due to the aforementioned problems in Austin, we did not see Batman until Tuesday night. We made a mistake when ordering our tickets and wound up all the way at Jordan Landing (which is not incredibly close to our house in Holladay), but at least it was a nice theater. We were very happy to see the new James Bond preview, "The Quantum of Solace" (bad title, kick ass preview). They filmed part of the movie in Bregenz, Austria, on a lake called the Borden See, and we visited there last May, so it was cool to see in the movie. As far as Batman, I really liked it. I don't necessarily think it was better than "Batman Begins" (I would say they are equal in awesomeness), but I did think Heath Ledger's performance was impeccable. He made the Joker such a intriguing and engaging (not to mention crazy) character, and I am very sad he will not be in the next one. I am so glad they replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllanhael (since she can, you know, act) and liked that Christian Bale was as hot as ever. That was probably the most important part of all, actually.

Houses:
Of course, our house search continues. The more I look at houses, the more I think to myself "WTF are people thinking"? Pink carpet? Purple tile? I know everyone has their individual taste, but really-1970 was 40 years ago, time to change, or drop your over inflated price, because no one want your wood paneling-no one.
On a happy note, we did find a house that:
-Is in Holladay
-Is under 250000 (not common in Holladay)
-Does not feature pink carpet, purple tile or wood paneling
-Fulfills most of needs (since we are, as real estate agents like to say "picky buyers", this is rare indeed)
We'll keep you updated if we become closer to moving out of my parent's basement and into the grown up world of home ownership.

Next on the Jason/Verity Agenda of fun:
-On Thursday, Verity is going to see Mamma Mia, a musical based solely from ABBA songs. Jason will instead opt to stay at work, because he has never listened to an ABBA song all the way through, and would like to keep it that way.
-On Friday, we will spend time with our friends, something that happens rarely in our life. We are not antisocial, we just have friends who have lives and therefore, no time.
-On Saturday, Verity will go to bridal shower, and then come home and remember how nice it is to already be married. We might also go see Step Brothers, or if Jason loves me, the X-Files